Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine problem with a GTX Wake 2004

Hi,

I have a little problem with my GTX Wake 2004.
    There is a lot of white smoke from the engine and it also smell a lot of gasoline.

I have done a compression test of the engine and everything seems to be fine there.
    There is nothing strange with the oil or coolant water.
    Maybe there is some soot in the oil.

The spark plug seems to be a little bit wet after run and there is some soot on them also.

Can there be a problem with the fuel injectors?
    Or can there be any other problem?

Thanks in advance!

Which engine do you have? I think that was a 155hp. It sounds like a possible exhaust leak if it was really blackening up the plugs, and it would be a soot build up if ran for long with an exhaust leak.

Comment

Yes it is the 155hp 4-tec engine
      Do you think it is exhaust leak in the cylinder house or somewhere else?

Comment

What are your compression numbers?

Any codes or warning lights?

How does the ski run when beign used?

Comment

I actually don't have the numbers.
          The mechanic that did the test just told me that the numbers was okay. (He is an authorized Sea Doo mechanic)
          He wanted to spend a lot of time (money) to figure out what the problem could be.
          Then I thought I will try the internet instead.

No error codes, no warning lights

In my opinion it running just fine, have the correct speed and response.
          It is just the smell and smoke that is a problem.
          And I think it consume more fuel than it should do.
          But it is my first watercraft so I don't have anything to compare with.

Comment

As GP suggested check for any exhaust leaks to see if you may have an issue there.
            He is very knowledgable and wouldn't steer you wrong.

Imight also suggest pulling the fuel rail and injectors out of the manifold and see if the spray pattern id the same for all 3 injectors. You may have one sticking open.

Be careful with those screws that hold the rail on the manifold. BRP uses yellow lock-tite and we have seen severeal spin the brass insert that is embossed in the ABS plastic of the manifold.
            Last edited by BUDDAH@PPG; 04-29-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I have checked the fuel rail.
              I can't say that I can see any big issues there.
              Maybe 2 of the injectors gives a little bit more fuel than the last one.
              But it is hard to say, specially when you don't know how much they shall give.

Comment

Somethings not right. Are you the original owner? I have seen two cases where the machine was so pampered that the rings never "set" or broke-in properly, thats with constant varying of the throttle, no sustained high RPM, no hard turns, as in bouy course turns! Turns are the heaviest load you can put your machine through. Many mix up the smoke sometimes for STEAM, which steam doesn't have much of a smell! LOL So it does smell gaseous inside the engine bay? The Fuel System needs to be pressure tested, ASAP!!! Very dangerous with fuel vapors in the hull. It can explode like you can't imagine. So, makle sure you remove the seat and be in a well ventilated area before starting. Is this machine 100% stock? Not modified in any way? Hope this helps, but answer these things and ask your sea-doo mech how much he charges to do something called a "Leak-Down" test and if doesn't know what you are talking about, he's no True Tech by any measure. Run the other way. It is to determine the condition of some internals and if the integrity

Comment

I am at least the third owner so I don't know how the first owner has "broke-in" the machine.
                  What I have found out is the machine "stock" regarding all mechanics.
                  There are new seats and traction mat from RIVA...

In my opinion it doesn't smell gas in the engine compartment.
                  Maybe some smell from exhaust gas.

I have checked the temp sensors and the one at the exhaust system was not working correctly, and there was probably some leakage also due to damage threads.
                  I switch place with one of the other that worked correctly and after a quick test the exhaust gas doesn't smell a lot of gasoline anymore.
                  There is still some smoke but now it is only smell like "normal" exhaust gas.

But I need to do some more test before I can say if it is better.

Comment

Working...
                  X