04 GTXSC driveshaft pulls out of impeller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 GTXSC driveshaft pulls out of impeller

Hi all, newbie on the forum, 20 years with Doos. I'd appreciate a little help if possible. My 04 GTXSC (500hrs) was running fantastic, but started taking on water from the carbon seal/boot. Boot was not pushing against the floating ring/carbon seal with enough force. I pulled the pump, driveshaft, replaced PTO bearing/boot/seal, carbon seal/boot/floating ring/clip, and the impeller wear ring. Used correct tools. Put ski in the water, it ran great up until I got on it a bit. All of a sudden, loud clanking and spinning noise. Pulled the lanyard. Nothing noticeable in engine compartment. Started back up, it ran fine up to 3500 rpm, then clanking spinning noise again. Took pump off and noticed metal grindings in the impeller spline area. Looks like the driveshaft is not going into the impeller far enough. Rubber plug is on the PTO side of driveshaft. Tell-tale line is inside PTO bearing. Is my new wear ring possibly too wide (front to back), pushing my pump back too far? I seated it well using the freezer method. Its a blue colored wear ring. My motor mounts look, feel good and do not look like they've moved. Floating ring clip is in-place. I took everything apart and re-installed. Once re-installed, I noticed the distance between the tappered end of the driveshaft and the impeller boot/seal seems excessive; like about an inch. Is that inch normal? When I dry fit the shaft into the impeller, it went in very well and deep into the impeller. Just doesn't look deep enough into the impeller after all reinstalled. Kinda scared to go test it again without some help. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

test rode today after re seating the new wear ring. Noisy grinding/spinning again. Can a wear ring slip inside the pump housing? I see where shop manual says drill 2 screws through pump housing into wear ring, but they don't specify size of screws or type screws. This is probably to keep the wear ring from slipping??? Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
    X