99 GTS suddenly dead after carb clean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 GTS suddenly dead after carb clean

I picked up a couple of older skis (97 XP and a 99 GTS) on a double trailer for a steal... both run and they have been used several times, I wanted to go through the basics to make sure they stayed that way. Cleaned the carbs on both and checked the oiling system on the GTS while I had the carb off. The motor turned over just fine while I checked to see that there was oil coming out of the oiling jets. After I put the carb back on, I tried starting it up and... nothing. Literally the only thing I did between the oil system check where the engine turned over just fine and the final attempt, was to put the carb back on the intake. Nothing electrical was touched.

I thought maybe it was either the key or the on/off switch which had seemed maybe a bit intermittent previously. The beeper doesn’t work, (ordered one today) so I can’t confirm that the DESS is working properly, but once again, I had the ski running for two weeks prior without issue. When I put the key on, nothing happens. When I push the start button, the fuel gauge comes up but nothing else. No click, just nothing.

I disconnected the switch and checked for continuity. I think it was reading about 1400ohms which I think would be a bad switch. I checked the resistance on my 96 XP’s switch and it was around 140ohms. Why would the switch activate the fuel gauge every time but not engage the starter? I tried jumping the other side of the connector but got no results. So is this a key issue, switch issue, or a something else in the electrical box?

I did check battery positive to engine ground and saw 12.7 volts. The 2 fuses in the electrical box were good.

So what gives?

I think it is either the key or the DESS post... tried starting it tonight and again nothing happened until I repositioned the key 3-4 times, then it started.
    Last edited by QuickPuppy; 04-08-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I replaced the beeper and I confirmed that the DESS post is faulty. It appears that the reed switch inside is not making any connection. I took the working post out of my 96 XP and tried to temporarily wire it in but was not able to get it to work either. Still no beeps and no start. I rechecked the fuses (both good), unplugged and cleaned all the connectors and still nothing. Bad MPEM?

Comment

Found several issues... bad DESS post, sketchy start button, two pinched ground wires in the electrical box. All appears to work now except for the beeper. It does work if I connect the wires straight to the battery but the MPEM does not seem to be sending a signal. Need to get a cheap analog volt meter to see for sure.

Comment

• bjab
          bjab commented
          Editing a comment
          check the DESS plug on your lanyard. I had one that the metal contacts were too worn or broken. Had a spare DESS plug and it worked. Check your black DESS plug........not the DESS post.
      Working...
      X