787 RFI Bogging Down/Wont Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 787 RFI Bogging Down/Wont Run

Just about a week ago I took my SeaDoo out for a ride when had previously run fine. During the ride, going around 25-30 mph, it suddenly bogged down and died. I tried to start it, no luck. I had to dock it at a nearby gas station and trailer it back home later. When I got to the gas station I had an idea that it just wasn't getting a spark so I removed the spark plugs. Sure enough, they were coated in oil (which I thought was normal for a 2 stroke) and one spark plug had the ground nearly touching the electrode, and the other was gapped to far from the electrode. I took it home and properly gapped them and tested them for a spark, which they both did. I then tested the fuel pump but that also worked properly. I can start it in my driveway, but only with about half throttle and as soon as I let off it bogged down and died again. If anyone has any idea what it could be, and how to fix it, please let me know and it would be much appreciated. Thanks -Logan

How long had it been since you last rode your machine and it was running properly?

Heavily oil coated spark plugs are usually a sign that you have excessive blow by (meaning the piston rings and/or cylinders are worn).

You may be in need of a engine rebuild, or at least a top end rebuild.

Comment

RFI's are incessantly hard to start if it doesn't have a 110% hot battery and all systems in near perfect condition. Battery cables to start of with, if the battery isn't at full charge 100% of the time it will do just what you describing, but if you have a spark plug that the electrode grounding tip was bent inward to the electrode, there's serious damage inside your engine!. The cylinder is easy to remove, you may want to have a look. BUT, the engine can be perfect, and not run well due to the engine's Management System not being *right*. They are good machines, but tough for the average mechanic, as they are very different for most other watercraft engine controls. Don't know if this helps, but it is SOLID info for sure!

Comment

Working...
      X