Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! 2004 Seadoo Islandia Mercury 240 efi 0E415631 Steering assist throttle and. . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 2004 Seadoo Islandia Mercury 240 efi 0E415631 Steering assist throttle and. . .

Last edited by SeptemberC; 09-28-2020, 11:16 PM.

The steering issue is not likely to be related to the battery switch install unless wires were crossed and things shorted out.
    There is a low speed control sensor (part # 204470631 discontinued/obsolete) that has more than likely failed due to age more than anything. There is also a low speed control actuator (part # 204470632 $31.99) that could be the source of your issue as well.

As for the RPM loss....
    When was the last time this boat ran properly?
    When was the last time the fuel filters on this unit were changed?
    How many hours on this engine?
    When was the last time this engine/boat had a proper/complete service?
    Has anyone checked the fuel pumps for proper PSI and volume?

Be glad to help you if I can.

Comment

• SeptemberC
      SeptemberC commented
      Editing a comment
      incorrect info
      Last edited by SeptemberC; 09-28-2020, 11:17 PM.

• BUDDAH@PPG
      BUDDAH@PPG commented
      Editing a comment
      In believe you should reach out to Dennis and Jeff at CanDoo Pro to see if their diagnostic software is compatible with the Mercury powered Jet boats.
      They are (THE GUYS) for the D.I.Y software and they have exceptional technical support.

I believe the home version of their system sells for $399.99 and if compatible will be a solid investment for you.

• SeptemberC
      SeptemberC commented
      Editing a comment
      All of the low speed steering actuator parts have been replaced. The reeve switch and the magnets.
      TPS along with both head temp sensors and fuel pump diaphragm have been replaced.

Still running rich and low speed actuator does not work.

I can't find any wiring info for it.
      Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
      Trying desperately to find someone who has worked on these before.

Originally posted by BUDDAH@PPG View Post
    The steering issue is not likely to be related to the battery switch install unless wires were crossed and things shorted out.
    There is a low speed control sensor (part # 204470631 discontinued/obsolete) that has more than likely failed due to age more than anything. There is also a low speed control actuator (part # 204470632 $31.99) that could be the source of your issue as well.

As for the RPM loss....
    When was the last time this boat ran properly?
    When was the last time the fuel filters on this unit were changed?
    How many hours on this engine?
    When was the last time this engine/boat had a proper/complete service?
    Has anyone checked the fuel pumps for proper PSI and volume?

Be glad to help you if I can.
    Thank you. I appreciate any help I can get.

Comment

How you doing with this thing? We may have one coming ion as a *parts unit* as it runs but paperwork is all messed up. Sop they were thinking about parting it out. We can attest that a lot of the electronics are new or close to new, and most all things work on it. Let us know if any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by GP@PPG View Post
        How you doing with this thing? We may have one coming ion as a *parts unit* as it runs but paperwork is all messed up. Sop they were thinking about parting it out. We can attest that a lot of the electronics are new or close to new, and most all things work on it. Let us know if any interest.
        Right now a friend of mine that is a 20yr Merc mechanic veteran has it in Alabama. His thought right now is the only thing that could possibly be was injector related. The injectors were pulled and sent away to be serviced. As soon as the weather warms up in Alabama he’ll be reinstalling them and taking it to the water to test. I appreciate the heads up and will keep you posted

Comment

Thanks for posting back, we'd sure like top hear how it came out for you!

Comment

I'm still waiting to go back to Alabama to get it. Weather has been to cold to water test

Comment

Wow, it's been awhile, any good news or any news on your machine yet?

Comment

Still have not gotten it back from Alabama! 😞

Comment

Ooooh noooo! Really? Well let us know how it comes out! Thanks for posting back!

Comment

I brought it home last week. Had it in the water this week. No change. Throttle assist still does not work and it’s still running rich. The throttle assist signal IS reaching the engine. The engine is just not doing anything with it. Here’s a pic of the connection it travels to the engine. Are there vacuum lines I need to check even though computer diagnostics say there is nothing wrong with the engine? Could the ECU be bad with computer diagnostics saying everything is ok? Running rich would lead me to believe that the engine thinks it’s getting more air than it really is and therefore shooting more fuel into it than it needs to.
                    Last edited by SeptemberC; 06-08-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Well, it would be a stretch to be the main ECU, if I remember right there is several solid-state control units on these things. I may be able to access a lot of new or proven to work like new electronics. I was thinking maybe I could ship you the known good/new pieces to try as the boat they are on is not usable. The $2700.00 main ECU is brand new on it, and several other shops had loaded the *Shotgun with New Parts*, and Shot it at it! Didn't solve a very seemingly basic issue. It runs GREAT, unless you need a hot restart, it just will not start until cold. We had to stop on it as the customer lost interest in even solving it. Apparently these things can be quite elusive at times to solve. We have solved all to co,me across our path. I'll see if I can access the BIG dollar parts, and see if he'll let me send them out for you to try. The part or parts would just need to be secured with w credit card and if it'll help you I'll hopefully be able to get my hands on some or any of the expensive things Mercury will suggest trying. There support on these engines is very poor, it's ashamed more of the manufacturers don't these machines any better, just because they are older is no excuse in my opinion. Will check it out for you. GP@PPG

Comment

It’s quite a long story but this is what I was told (true or not...) the injectors were removed and sent off to be cleaned and refurbished. They checked out ok on incoming inspection. During the time the injectors were removed (supposedly) the reeds were “looked” at and were fine (reed block was not pulled). Everything was reassembled and there was no change.
                        So.... a mechanic friend of mine tore it back down. Removed the plenum, fuel rail, REED BLOCK and guess what we found? The very bottom reed on the left side port reed was gone. And the cage was actually bent. This had been my problem all along. We replaced all reed with a Boysean reed kit, reassembled and EVERYTHING works now. So since that reed was broken that must have kept the auto assist steering from operating properly. Knock on wood, we’ve not had one more issue since this repair was done. She back to running quiet, no start up issues, fuel Econ has gotten WAAAY better.
                        Thank you for the help.

Comment

Oh geeez, That's what it was? It should have a poor idle quality too!? Wow, sorry you had to go down such a crooked path to get there! Glad she's fixed! Sometimes mechanics forget the BASICS. They can never be over-looked, A humbling experience for those that did work on it for sure. Again, glad she's fixed!

Comment

Working...
                          X